No, not exotic. Exotic. See, no italics. We keep it clean. That said, along the way, I’ve written for a colorful menagerie of clients. There are times a client needs something offbeat. They need exotic writing services. I have worn a lot of unusual writing hats. My fingerprints are on documents in the EU, personal letters to world leaders, commissioned poetry, TV commercials, fundraising appeals, and more.
- Scripting a remorse speech for a high profile client facing a long prison sentence.
- An invitation to President Obama for dinner (he said hopefully soon).
- A letter from a wealthy man to his children so that they might understand the burden of money.
My clients have included billionaire philanthropists, well-known athletes, sheikhs, and completely ordinary people with a project that requires careful handling.
There’s nothing too unusual for me. There’s a fair chance I’ve done one just like it already.
Questions for the Curious
- What about copy for an exclusive, invite-only island jungle resort?
Yup. Done it. It was as beautiful as you can imagine and twice as remote.
- An introduction for a private secretary who was secretly one of the most important people in her country?
I did, and it was an honor. My client was the person introducing her.
- You didn’t write a sermon to inmates in a maximum security prison, did you?
Indeed I did. Lots.
- Ever barter?
These days, not so much. Earlier on, I helped a Hungarian restaurant write a series of press releases in exchange for gift certificates.
Mostly, now, things are more formal. You know, a mortgage and all. I’m open to creative suggestions, though. High-end road bikes, top of line Napoleon grills, and vacations in Europe might intrigue me.
- Hmm… here’s a crazy one: a script for a trick bird act?
Absolutely. That was one of my first jobs. Two birds which rode bikes while their trainer cracked jokes following a loose storyline.
I think you get the idea.
“Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can play weird; that’s easy. What’s hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity.”
"Curiosity about life in all of its aspects, I think, is still the secret of great creative people."
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine, and at last, you create what you will."
George Bernard Shaw
Get In Touch
Get In Touch
Writer & Speaker
Atlanta • Chicago • Global
This site may contain affiliate links so I earn a commission.
All Rights Reserved